Sunday 31 May 2015

Warsaw, Poland

In 1944, this city was completely destroyed by the Nazi Regime, almost wiping it off the map. And when the country of Poland got it independence in 1945 under the communist regime, it got the task to rebuild its own capital, which to this day stays one huge construction site.
On May 14th I flew to Warsaw for an extended weekend to visit a good friend of mine, Aleksandra, who had invited me to come see her city. I stayed until May 17th, and the 4 days I spend there, left me absolutely speechless. The city has so much to offer, not just in history, but also in lifestyle. There are more brands, shops and products than in Prague, and the city definitely tries to become as Western as possible. Modern developments include the stadium and the new business centre:
Now, before the Nazis, Warsaw was a small little trading town, with a nice historic city centre and beautiful markets. Most of the old parts have been rebuilt to look as original as possible, with success to be seen:
During the communist era, Warsaw rapidly developed into a representative capital. With its main monument, the Palace of Culture, Warsaw paid tribute to the Soviet Union, by building it in the style of a Stalin skyscraper. Today, it's basically the symbol of the city:
The destruction of Warsaw in 1944 changed the city completely, and it's course in history. On Willy Brandt square, one can find the monument to the fallen, where in 1970 the German chancellor, Willy Brandt well to his knees in order to show respect to Poland, and ask for forgiveness. A few months ago, the museum of Jewish history opened up there. In my opinion, it's one of the nicest museums to go to, as it has an interesting exhibition, which is not centered at the holocaust, but at Jewish history as a whole. I really found it worth a visit.
Monument to the fallen Jews in the Warsaw Ghetto
Museum of Jewish History
Anyways, Warsaw was not only sightseeing for me, but also meeting friends, partying and having a good time in general. Aleksandra and I were walking around most of the time, and she showed me most places. She's just such an amazing person, funny, smart and she knows what she's doing. Something you don't really find often in people! I thank her a lot for this experience I got in Warsaw, and I hope, that one day, I can re-visit her in this lovely city.
Aleksandra and I eating what I consider to be the cheapest ice cream for the fairest price ever.
Waiting for the subway at Plac Wilsona
Aleksandra's wonderful smile :)
On saturday, Aleksandra threw a party, where I got to meet most of her friends. They were all very nice people in my opinion, and they sure know how to have fun. It was one of those rare house parties, where everyone's drunk to the point, that they're having fun, without annoying anyone else. Nothing broke, no body felt sick, and everyone seemed to enjoy the party.
I couldn't find many party photos on my phone, but I did find this one, which I cherish. Elena (left) and Ewa (right) are two of Aleksandra's best friends and in my opinion amazing people. 
When I left Warsaw, I was struck with this wish to go again, but not for the tourism, but for the life. Warsaw is not a city, with offers full time entertainment for tourist in the form of sightseeing, but more in the form of living. If you know the right people in Warsaw, you are bound to have a good time.

From Poland with Love, Stefan.

No comments:

Post a Comment